ELIX Polymers’ commitment to reducing GHG emissions
ELIX Polymers has an environmental protection strategy in which the objective is to reduce the impact of the company’s activity. This strategy is implemented based on a series of initiatives that generate a positive impact on different environmental vectors.
One of them is the Voluntary Agreements Program, in which the company has taken part since 2016, promoted by the Catalan Office for Climate Change (OCCC) with the aim of reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions beyond what the regulations require.
Within the framework of this Programme, the OCCC makes a series of visits to the member organisations for the following purposes:
- To check the Programme implementation status.
- To identify improvements and share experiences in reducing GHG emissions.
- To make on-the-spot checks on the self-reported data of the inventory and of the measures implemented.
This year, owing to the COVID-19 situation, the OCCC made an online monitoring visit to ELIX Polymers. During the visit, an interview was held with Francisco Durán, Head of Operations at ELIX Polymers, who highlighted the following reduction measures already implemented by the company:
- Replacement of conventional light bulbs with energy-efficient LED light bulbs.
- Reduction in natural gas consumption by means of process optimisation in one plant.
- Reduction in specific steam consumption by means of operational control activities in different facilities.
On the other hand, it should be mentioned that in 2019, ELIX Polymers reduced its carbon footprint by 9.67%. For our company, which manufactures ABS resins and derivatives, calculating the carbon footprint is essential as this provides useful information in focusing our efforts on implementing improvements.
The value of the carbon footprint associated with transportation from ELIX to the client has also experienced a slight reduction. “At ELIX, we are committed to transportation that generates less contamination, such as intermodal transport, and we continue to work with our clients to maintain our support for a more sustainable transport”, says Esther Freijanes, Supply Chain Manager at ELIX Polymers.
Based on our commitment to the environment, ELIX Polymers continues to implement new solutions and measures for continuous improvement in both the type of products we manufacture and in our production operations and value chain, thereby increasing our commitment to sustainability.